Monday, April 8, 2002

CR Answer Drill 4A 8MS4







5




10







15




20
 
Passage 1

    Kneeling motionless on the ground, I watched as
a husky eastern diamondback rattlesnake slid from my
5-gallon can into its winter home, a dark gopher tortoise
burrow. "See you soon," I whispered, expecting to
recapture this and eight other rattlesnakes I had recently
caught, marked and released in the open pine forests
of northern Florida. When I began my research, I was
amazed at the dearth of scientific information on eastern
diamondbacks. I have subsequently filled in many details
of the life history of the species. I have discovered that
this creature, long despised by people, is highly evolved,
incredibly complex, and surprisingly gentle.

Passage 2

    Rattlesnakes have long held a mingled dread and
fascination for Americans. In the Eastern part of the
United States many American Indian tribes venerated them,
referring to rattlesnakes as "Grandfather" and treating them
with respect. The Colonialists did not follow suit. The "bellied
viper" was one of the more sensational finds in the New
World, and almost everyone agreed that the serpents were
unspeakably evil, and should be killed on sight. Benjamin
Franklin called rattlesnakes "Felons . . . from the Beginning
of the World," but several Revolutionary War flags carried
rattlers, including the famous Gadsden flag with its "Don't
Tread on Me" warning to Great Britain.