Monday, April 15, 2002

CR Answer Drill 5C 8MS8










5




10







15




20
 
This passage is adapted from a novel based on the life
of Dr. May Chinn, a medical pioneer in Harlem during
the 1920s. Here the protagonist relates several of her
childhood experiences.

    The summer I turned five, Mama decided she'd had
enough of the Lower East Side. At least for me. She hadn't
told Papa, or anyone, but she'd been saving money since
before we came to New York. And she never touched it,
not for food or fuel or clothes. That money was mine. She
took the money she'd saved, paid off a full year of tuition,
and bought a train ticket for me to the Bordentown School,
a top primary school for Black children in the East, tucked
away into sleepy Bordentown, New Jersey, about one
hundred miles south of New York.
     It was my first time away from home, the first time n
my life that I was to spend even a night separated from my
mother. I cried bitterly the entire trip. But when I arrived at
the school gates, almost immediately, all of my little-girl
fears evaporated.
    A gorgeous chocolate-skinned woman named Miss
Morrison showed me up to the second-floor dormitory.
There I saw the most amazing thing: an entire roomful of
fidgeting, giggling, pouncing little girls just like me. I had
never been around children my own age, and they seemed
to me to be almost fantastic, like the little elves and fairies
that my father made up stories about. I believed then, in
my truest heart, that they'd been made and set down in this
place specifically for me.
    Those days at Bordentown were some of the best of my
childhood. Being the youngest children at the school, my
class of five year olds wasn't as strictly monitored as the
others were. So we spent much of our time in devilish
pursuits, wandering the fields and gardens surrounding
the school, searching for the spark of creation we used to
mold the ordinary into the magical. On the grounds, we
unearthed wild artichokes and ate them raw, while they
were still wet from the morning dew. We little girls lay in
the dirt on our bellies and ate raspberries and blackberries
and strawberries off the vine until our faces dripped purple
with juice.
    In the woods along the railroad tracks that ran beside
the river, there had once been a vineyard. It had long
since grown over with thickets. We waded in among the
brambles to pick grapes, fat like marbles and big as an
eyeball, so dense and juicy they almost looked black. We
steadily ignored the snakes, beetles, and all other manner
of creatures that were supposed to send our little-girl selves
off screaming -- but never did.
    Of the academics, I don't recall much except that I got a
copy of a book by Charles Kingsley called Water Babies as
a reward for high scholarship. That delicious woman Miss
Morrison handed me the book and said, "May, you know
you're smart. We know you're smart. We're not going to
let you back away from that." And then I was dismissed,
left alone with a pride swelling in my chest so big and tight
that I couldn't speak. I just sat with my book, with my
feeling, and coddled it silently, dreaming of growing up
so I could be a teacher too, and stay at school with Miss
Morrison forever.
    In this way, I began to discover my self, to understand
the fact that I existed apart from mother, father, teacher.
It dawned within me that I was more than a thought that
smiled when someone else smiled and walked with an
outstretched hand. I wouldn't ever vanish because my
mother turned out a light and walked away a long distance,
off by herself.
    Upon learning this about myself, mirrors became
attractive to me for the first time in my life. Reflecting
pools, the headmaster's teapot -- anything that showed
my face. The lamp beside my bed stayed on during the
night because the glimmering light dropped a curtain at
the window, erasing fields, oak branches, and the flight
and full circle of the Moon. Only my face remained.
    I found that I could make mirrors out of anything.
Inside, outside, anywhere. It gave me magic. And, as it's in
the nature of children to draw as close to magic as possible
and adore it, the other children began to love me. Little
girls followed me and fought over who could hold my
hand next. Little boys got quiet when I passed and made
small circles in the dirt with their toes. The teachers hugged
and cuddled me, engulfing me in scents of cinnamon and
lavender. And I don't think they even knew why. But I
did. I understood exactly why. Because shortly after Miss
Morrison gave me Water Babies, I'd taken it under my bed
and, with a large quill pen, written on the inside cover:

                  This is May's.